So far this year, I’ve probably attended more than a 100 events to introduce people to the benefits of Norwex. Every time, my goal is to leave having answered everyone’s questions about our products.
I want our customers to be well-informed so they can make the best choices for themselves and their families. But because time is usually limited and not everyone has a chance to speak up, I sometimes feel that I haven’t gotten to questions that are at the top of people’s minds.
Recently, I decided to ask my amazing Go Green Team about the questions members get most often about Norwex. Not surprisingly, our top-selling microfibers are a frequent topic of conversation. Here are some of the questions my team members hear a lot:
Your Questions, Our Answers
Q: I see so many microfiber cloths in stores. What makes Norwex special?
A: QUALITY! Norwex is the global leader in microfiber technology. There are two main reasons why that sets us apart from the other microfibers: (1) size of fibers, (2) silver embedded into the microfibers..
A unique knitting process, allows Norwex’s ultra-thick and absorbent cloths to pick up the smallest particles of dirt and trap them. Made with extremely fine fibers (1/200th size of a human hair), the cloths are woven so densely, that the fiber from one EnviroCloth can stretch all the way from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. That’s 10 million feet. Because of this density, a Norwex cloth can hold up to seven times its weight in liquid, dirt and grime. So instead of just spreading the dirt around, these cloths really pick it up and hold on to it. So, when following the proper care and use instructions, they can remove 99 percent of bacteria from a surface without the use of chemicals.
Many Norwex Microfiber products are also made with Baclock, an antibacterial agent made from silver (read more about the power of silver), that is used for self-cleansing and inhibits bacteria, mold and mildew from growing in the cloth.
Q: I’m on a budget. Why should I buy Norwex, when store brands tend to cost less?
A: If you’re on a budget, Norwex is perfect for you! Using our microfiber cloths will save the average family hundreds of dollars per year. With just a Norwex Microfiber and water, you can clean up almost any mess in your home — and 99 percent of bacteria removed from your surfaces. What this means for your wallet is that you won’t need to spend money on chemical products and other cleaning supplies. For the average household this can add up to as much $600 a year versus the one-time investment you make with our microfibers. Just imagine never having to buy bottles of stinky and toxic cleaning solutions and rolls of paper towels….because myself and many other avid Norwex users will vouch that those are just NO longer needed to clean!
Every Norwex Microfiber has a 2-year warranty. But because of their superior quality, with proper care and cleaning, most people I know end up using their cloths years beyond the warranty time.
Q: How do I know that Norwex Microfibers work?
A: Studies have shown that Norwex microfibers have the unique ability to pick up and remove up to 99 percent of bacteria from surfaces. I understand when people who are new to Norwex are skeptical. Trying them out yourself is the best way to see the superior cleaning power of our cloths in your home. Get in touch with me if you want to see Norwex products in action.
Q: Does this mean that I will never have to use a cleaning product, like soap or detergent with my cloths?
A: Not exactly. You DO NOT need soap to clean your surfaces. You DO, however, need soap to rinse out your cloths and ensure that they continue to work effectively. (See below.)
Q: How do I take care of the microfibers?
A: For some reason, customers are often nervous about this. But it is SO EASY. Here is my standard, simple recipe for keeping your cloths like new:
Easy as 1-2-3.
- After daily use rinse your cloth out well with hot water and ONE drop of a liquid dish soap, a spritz of Norwex Stain Remover or a sprinkle of Norwex Ultra Power Plus Laundry Detergent. (I suggest keeping a salt shaker of UPP near your sinks for rinsing out your cloths, if this is your soap of choice.) The action of rubbing the fibers together will help remove any stains and the fibers will actually help clean themselves. Once rinsed out well, wring it out and hang it to dry.
- Approximately every TWO weeks machine wash your microfibers cloths with UPP or another detergent. (This is only an approximate time frame and will vary depending on how much you are using your cloths and what you are cleaning with them.)
- There are THREE things you should always avoid with Norwex microfibers — (1) Never use fabric softeners (liquid or dryer sheets.) These will coat the fibers and the silver, making your cloth less effective. (2) Do not use bleach because it is very corrosive and will break down your cloths faster. (3) Avoid washing Norwex microfibers with towels or other linty laundry items which will get stuck in the fibers. I usually throw them in with jeans or sheets, or do a small load of them by themselves.
Q: Can I put them in the washing machine? What about the dryer?
A: Absolutely! I have been with Norwex for nine years and have laundered all my microfibers in both the washing machine and the dryer. In fact, I believe drying Norwex microfibers gives the cloths their “fluff” back. Norwex Ultra Power Plus is the detergent I always use because it works so well for the cloths and my family’s laundry. It’s okay if you don’t have the Norwex detergent. Just remember rule No. 3 — NO Fabric Softeners and NO bleach — and you shouldn’t have a problem with your detergent of choice. Also, don’t forget to avoid washing and drying with cotton towels and other linty items.
Q: What if my microfiber cloth starts to smell funky?
A: When your cloth starts smelling, it means one thing: Something is coating the fibers so that the silver in the cloth is not able to do its job of suffocating the bacteria and germs in the cloth. It could have accidentally been washed with fabric softener or the soap you are using for it contains fillers or other things that are coating your fibers. By following my 1-2-3 recipe, you will greatly reduce the chances of encountering smelly microfiber cloths.
But no worries, if you do have problems with odors, I recommend a deep clean.(This is something you can also do if you haven’t been given directions about the proper care and cleaning of Norwex microfibers previously and want to deep clean them to start over.)
Deep clean (No more than once or twice a year.)
- Bring water to a full boil in a pot on your stove.
- Turn off the burner and then soak your cloth in the pot for a minimum of 15 minutes. Or, put the stopper in the sink, place your cloths in the sink and then pour the boiling water onto them.
- Using a spoon-full of our Norwex laundry detergent while you are soaking your cloths will help clean the fibers even more, but boiling water alone should do the trick.
- Once it has been at least 15 minutes, rinse the cloths out well, wring them out and dry as usual.
- For additional clean, or as and alternative to boiling if needed, machine washing your cloth in a hot wash with a double rinse setting. Laundering with Norwex UPP is preferred. However, if you don’t have this, avoid using a detergent with bleach or fabric softeners.
Q: What can I do if my cloths feel hard and crunchy?
A: This can be a sign that you have hard water and the minerals are attaching to your fibers. Some of my team members recommend adding white vinegar to the wash or using vinegar every once in awhile to rinse out your cloths very well. Dry as usual.
Q: Norwex has so many different microfibers. Which ones should I get?
A: You could clean almost everything in your entire home using just the EnviroCloth (to clean) and Window Cloth (to polish). But, knowing everyone has different needs and preferences, Norwex gives customers a wide variety of choices. I personally like the cloths that have a scrubby component, like the new EnviroSponges or the Scrubby Corner Cloth to get rid of stuck-on gunk. I also LOVE the Dusting Mitt because I can just put it on and walk around the house swiping away the dirt.
Finally, my favorite question about the microfibers is when someone asks me: “How can I get them?” That’s an easy one: Just visit my online store.